Lynnwood Drug Crime Defense Lawyer
Serving Edmonds, Kirkland, Seattle, Everett, Marysville, King County, and Snohomish County
Drug crimes in Washington may be classified as misdemeanors or felonies. Generally, they involve possession, distribution, solicitation, or manufacturing of a controlled substance. Penalties can vary widely, depending on the type of drug and the situation surrounding a defendant’s arrest.
If you are facing drug charges, contact McAvoy Law, PLLC. Attorney Kimberly McAvoy is passionate about protecting your rights and fighting for the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Drug Charges in Washington
Drug offenses in Washington fall under the Uniform Controlled Substances Act. Illegal drugs are classified according to certain criteria, such as their potential for abuse and any accepted medical use.
Common drug charges include:
- Possession: This is usually charged when smaller amounts of drugs are found on a person or in their vehicle or home. Smaller amounts indicate personal use, rather than distribution.
- Possession with intent to deliver: This charge is more serious than simple possession and may be vigorously prosecuted in an effort by police to keep drugs off the streets.
- Drug trafficking: These federal charges carry severe penalties upon conviction, including mandatory prison sentences and large fines.
What Are the Main Factors in a Drug Case?
Drug charges in Washington and penalties upon conviction can depend on various factors, including:
- The type of drug
- The amount of drugs in the possession of the accused
- The criminal history of the accused
- The age of the accused (adult or juvenile)
- Intent (using or selling)
- Whether a weapon was involved in the crime
- If the case will be handled in state or federal court
Other factors that can affect your case include the location of the offense, whether a child was present, whether an alleged victim was injured, and whether the alleged crime was committed in a protected zone or correctional facility.
McAvoy Law, PLLC has extensive experience defending clients against drug charges. Call (425) 374-0761 to get a skilled Lynnwood drug crime defense attorney on your side.